Monday, August 31, 2009

Loving the Kids

During in-service, the administrators often stressed that you've got to love the kids, from the ones who aren't into school to the ones who are overachievers.

One week in, I think I get it.

I have a few classes full of kids who genuinely like the material they are supposed to be learning. I threw rather dry legal issues at one group during the first week and they more than tolerated it. They're awesome at participating in discussions and I really look forward to hearing their opinions.

Then, there are the classes with kids who aren't as enthusiastic for a number of reasons. When I was a student, I was never terribly patient with people who procrastinated or didn't apply themselves totally to work. Somehow, I can deal with these guys. It's exasperating -- how many times must I explain that you need to read the directions? -- but I'm not angry at them and I don't dislike them for it. I like them for different reasons. But I do hope I can find a way to engage these kids at some point so they don't feel like this whole year is a waste.

No comments: